John KK9A

From: Gary Smith ka1j

Hi Jim & the others who replied,

This is a follow-up for someone in the
future who looks for the same solution.

Yeah, the small amount of difference in
the wattage is insignificant but
considering all the radios I've owned, the
low end of the bands were always the
highest output. 10M was usually the lowest
output & with the K3/K3s, 6M was always as
good as the other bands watt wise and 160
was full output. This not being the case,
I was concerned.

I had done the calibration and raised the
output to 87W but that was it. As was
suggested, I raised the voltage from the
PS to give me 13.8V on transmit which
required 14.6V resting. I'm using the
cable Elecraft supplies and I'm suspecting
it could be just a tad lower gauge/thicker
copper to reduce the resistance but on
160M, I am now getting a 115W reading on
the P3 and 113W on the LP-100A.

So the increased voltage was the
difference in my case. A thicker wire
would certainly require less voltage than
14.6 and that's what I am going to look
into. With the power Pole connector, I'll
have to look a little deeper into what
will work best. I have no crimping tool
for Power Pole so that makes it more of a
challenge.

Anyway, thanks Jim & all who suggested the
higher voltage, it was the answer in this
instance.

73,

Gary
KA1J