A 90 degree plug may not resolve the problem. The early KX3s did not have the power plug glued to the PC board and could break the connections between the power plug and the board. If you can wiggle the power cord and cause the KX3 to power off, then you have the problem.

With a new power jack from Elecraft, I was successful in removing the power jack from my KX3 and soldering in a new jack (after applying a small amount of epoxy glue beneath the jack).

At first it looked like the PC pads had broken free of the board, and in fact one did, but a bit of wire repaired that connection easily.

I have the first KX3 shipped off the production line, so any changes that were applied to the KX3 are applicable to mine. Elecraft has updated my KX3 to current level a few months ago but the power connector gluing and repair was done long prior to sending it to Elecraft.

So if you have an older KX3 where the power jack is not glued to the PC board, you may have that problem. Sorry, but I do not have the serial number when the glue was first used.

73,
Don W3FPR