When I've had this happen with other rigs in the past, it's been because of
RF leaking back into the shack and causing CAT commands to fail (because of
common mode current on the serial line).

If you reduce power to something quite small, like 1-2 W, does it stop
happening?

   Nick

--
*N6OL*
Saying something doesn't make it true.  Belief in something doesn't make it