In that case it's probably statistically slightly more likely that a CAT
command (seems like about 5 bytes) would get garbled going across the USB
than whatever bit stream went across the USB to turn RTS off.  One would be
an op-code (probably 8 bits) plus 5 more bytes, versus the other being just
an op code.  So it's odds of garbling 1 or more bits out of 8 versus 1 or
more bits out of ~48.  Probably mitigates the problem somewhat, but mostly
likely won't make it completely go away.

The best thing still will be attenuating the common mode noise on the USB
cable, IMO... keep it out of there in the first place.

   Nick

--
*N6OL*
Saying something doesn't make it true.  Belief in something doesn't make it