I'm not sure about a mag loop inside a room, I've never tried mine that way. When used vertically outside, they tend to be insensitive to surroundings [trees, ground, you sitting under it] because the permeability of most such surroundings is 1. This may not be true if you're set up on the track of a railroad yard ... or if there's a lot of ferromagnetic material in your walls.

If you try it, be aware of several things:

1. Small magnetic loops involve some very high voltages and circulating currents, even at surprisingly low powers. AA5TB has an on-line calculator and there is a similar one at http://www.66pacific.com/calculators/small_tx_loop_calc.aspx

2. The equivalent radiation resistance of small loops is extraordinarily low -- in the milliohms range. Your power will be split between the radiation resistance and the RF resistance of the conductors, which is higher than the DC resistance because of the skin effect. You really need to achieve the lowest possible RF resistance [high conductor surface area].

3. Mag loops are resonant transformers or autotransformers. To radiate at all, they MUST be exactly resonant at your TX frequency. "Getting close and letting the ATU match it" will create a fairly effective dummy load. Bypass the ATU and tune the loop for exact resonance.

4. The usable bandwidth will be very low [i.e. you need to re-resonate the loop when you QSY, even a little]. As the circumference of the loop becomes smaller in relation to the wavelength [i.e. on lower frequencies for a fixed size loop], the BW can become smaller than the occupied BW of a SSB signal.

Commercial mag loops [e.g. my Alexloop] are usable from 40 up. Tuning it on 40 is really touchy. It's easier on 20 and up. They tend to run in the $400 range. You can build one much cheaper, but remember #2 above.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County