Hmmmmm  80 & 40 ......

-------- Original message --------
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrin...@me.com>
Date: 2017-01-25  10:14 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: Harry Yingst <hlyin...@yahoo.com>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] What Two Bands would you pick for a K1?

At this point in the solar cycle, we are already seeing the MUF drop below both
40 and 80 meters at night. Of course that is in the winter time,
and things should get a bit better as we get closer to summer. Still, for the
near future the higher bands won’t be very effective. During the
(rather lengthy) low parts of the last cycle the MUF dropped below 80 meters
for long periods of time at night, and even 20m wasn’t very
effective during the day.

I would consider some combination that includes 80 meters if you plan on
operating at night. It is the higher band that would give me trouble
deciding, with 40, 30 and even 20m providing interesting possibilities. I kind
of like K9YC’s suggestion of 30 meters where CW shines so well.

In any case, make a decision and enjoy it. Operating CW on the bands is always
a lot of fun.

- Jack, W6FB