No truth at all.

On 3/1/2017 6:25 AM, Charlie T, K3ICH wrote:
Is there any truth in the theory of making the vertical radiator out of multiple wires
such as ladder line and even adding a third wire woven through the ladder sections and
fed on one wire?  The physical result is three parallel wires but electrically connected
so as to form and "up, down and up again" element.   This supposedly raises the
radiating element impedance relative to the fixed ground loss resistance.  The idea I'm
told, is that since the ground resistance (loss) is fixed at whatever it is but as the
actual radiating element impedance is raised, the antenna becomes more efficient since
the ground loss percentage of the overall feed point impedance is lowered.  This
impedance change happens in much the same way as a folded dipole feed is a higher
impedance than a conventional dipole using a single wires.
I saw this written up a few years ago as a means of increasing the overall
efficiency of an inverted L for either 160 of 80 M.

I had an "L" made of the smaller ladder line on 160 with only four ¼λ radials
on the ground that seemed to work fairly well.   My plan was to install elevated radials,
but that would have been a LOT of wire around the yard.  Something broke on it after a
year or so, and I never re-installed it.

73, Charlie k3ICH