Yup, I knew that would cause confusion. That's NOT what I meant. I meant that
if you listen to ONE signal at a time, their apparent amplitudes do not reflect
reality, because of the AGC. If BOTH signals are present in the passband at the
same time, then my comments DO NOT apply. I was ONLY talking about hearing ONE
signal AT A TIME.

NONE of my discussion EVER presupposed more than ONE signal being received at a
time.

THANK YOU. :^)

I am beginning to believe that it's impossible to shed any more light on this
topic. It continues to be one of the most misunderstood areas of all, and I'm
not sure if any effort can clear up the confusion without adding more confusion
of its own. At least, I know I've failed! The next time someone asks a question
about AGC, I'm going to chomp down on a towel, duct tape my arms to the chair,
and start my breathing exercises: deep breath.... hold..... exhale.....
again.....

Al  W6LX