On Wed,3/8/2017 8:41 PM, w7aqk wrote:
you are right to be concerned about how clean a transmitter is, but there are regulatory requirements about that. If you don't meet those standards, you supposedly can't sell it!!!

Sadly, it goes FAR beyond that. See my comparison of ARRL Lab data for selected popular rigs, some of them in the $10K range. Some of the most expensive are really dirty on CW. http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf Also look at

http://k9yc.com/P3_Spectrum_Measurements.pdf which consists of measurements I've done myself of rigs that were made available to me.

Most of the bad signals I hear are, I think, because someone is running things at "maximum'!

Partly true, but some rigs are FAR dirtier than others. The link about concentrates on CW. Many popular rigs generate splatter in their output stage due to poor design of TX ALC. Using ALC between the rig and a power amp to set TX power is recipe for splatter and clicks. Mistuning a power amp, or failure to match an antenna to the power amp also causes splatter and clicks. See http://k9yc.com/K6XXAmpTalk.pdf

73, Jim K9YC