From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Fred
Jensen
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:35 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Linear thoughts

Advising Elecraft about producing a larger amplifier is quite a bit above my
pay grade so I won't go there. However, going to 1,500 watts from 500 watts
is a bit less than 5 dB -- a little less than one International Standard
S-unit.  5 dB might come a lot cheaper from an antenna change.

Before purchasing the KPA500, I ran my "1,500 watt Behemoth" at 500 W for
close to a year to see if I could tell the difference. Admittedly, I'm a
casual contester and DX'er, and I operate my ham radio for other reasons
too, but I really couldn't see much if any difference in terms of who I
could work or how long it took to snag the latest expedition.
Operating skill [or lack thereof in my case] was a much bigger factor.
The KPA500 was full QSK which its predecessor was not, which became a big
advantage.

I have since sold the KPA500 [and KAT500] and run 100W from home. My
HOA-Stealth "wire on the fence" is close enough to the house that I
occasionally make something happen [like flash touch-lamps or reset the
u-wave clock], and I figured 500 W might nuke the neighbor's dog who patrols
the other side of the fence.  I'm very surprised that the wire,
6 feet high, works as well as it does. If I quest for QRO and "real
antennae," I can always run W7RN remotely.

73,

Fred ("Skip") K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn