The 2M option for the KX3 supports transmit at about 3W output. See: <http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX3-2M%20FAQ.htm>

Let me add, there are a lot of new hams with tech licenses. Many of them came to ham radio from an interest in community services ARES/RACES etc. They primarily use 2M and 70cm FM repeaters and simplex. It would be good for the hobby to have a radio which supported these FM uses and opened the possibility of other modes and bands. The Yaesu 8900 almost meets this requirement, except it only does FM. There is a very useful tech SSB subband on 10M which this radio just misses supporting.

I'm sure that some of them would want a high quality, US built, radio that met their needs plus a little. Call it, "The gateway radio".

73 Bill AE6JV