> I am looking at remote antenna tuners. I have seen several controllers for
> the ICOM AH-4 tuner. My questions are about operation with a K3s.
> 1.    Is there a limit to the time that 10w of RF can be sent to the AH-4 via
> the K3s Tune button?
> 2.    All circuits specify a momentary switch, but does momentary mean
> 0.1sec, 1.0sec or 5seconds? Does the time matter?
> 3.    When the complete signal returns from the AH-4 should the Tune RF or
> the momentary be terminated immediately?
> 4.    Is there a combination of momentary or Tune RF that will damage the
> AH-4?
> I have an AH-4 which worked with a home built controller for some months, and
> then became operationally intermittent and final fails to work at all. That
> makes me gun-shy, about buying another even though the AH-4 gets excellent
> reviews on eHam, almost all of which are based on an ICOM rig control.
I have used an AH-4 for many years, with a 706MKIIG and with various other
manufacturer's radios, including now a K2.  Other than the limitation to ~125
watts, these are excellent.  I only run 5 watts so it is not an issue.  I do
not recall a situation where the AH-4 would not give a useable match, provided
I provided it a plausible antenna.  I use a separate SWR/watt meter that shows
it working.

The momentary switch  is push on, release off, no time specified.  Pushing the
button signals the AH-4 to run through its paces for a match.  Most often, it
is very quick.  Occasionally, when you have gone from, say, 15M to 80M, it
might take a little longer, but never more than several seconds.  If no match
can be found, it just stops.  Either way, you stop the power. I wouldn't let it
just run like that, but have never heard of damage because of it.  You need to
reduce power with non-Icom rigs that don't do it automatically.

You might join the Icom tuner Yahoo group, if you can stand Yahoo.  Lots of
user experience there.

I've never seen a store bought controller for the AH-4.  Where have you seen
them?
73 Jim Allen W6OGC

Sent from my iPad