K3KO wrote:

>With the standard synthesizers, as one tunes up the band the true
>frequency deviates from the displayed by up to +/-4 Hz.  There are
times
>when one tunes up and the RX actually goes to a lower frequency.  Same
>problem when tuning downwards. In other words, there is electronic
>"backlash".  One has no way of knowing which point of this sawtooth
>error curve you are when choosing to calibrate to WWV.  This is
>essentially fixed with the new synthesizers.

Back in the day, Elecraft informed us about that cyclical error problem
with the old synthesizer. It would now be good to have a definitive
statement about the frequency setting accuracy in the new synthesizer.

The same applies to the TCXO error correction by the KREF3 module. Since
corrections are applied by rewriting the declared value of the 48MHz
reference frequency, presumably this can still only be changed in 1Hz
increments.

A related question (raised by Don's post, just in) is the magnitude of
any difference between the displayed sidetone pitch and the actual value
within the synthesizer?

73 from Ian GM3SEK

TXCO
>> in your K3 without any external measuring equipment, external ref
locks
>> or such.
>>
>> 1. From cold tune to a WWV frequency you will be able to receive
>> reliably for a few hours. Higher the better.
>> 2. Wait 5 minutes or you will be chasing a moving target.
>> 3. Perform a REF CAL and note the reading.
>> 4. Perform a REF CAL every half hour, less if you feel like it and
note
>> the readings.
>> 5. Eventually the reading will really slow down and more or less stop
>> changing.
>> 6. Choose a reading that indicates that the bulk of the drift has
>> happened, (1-2 hours)
>> 7. Set REF CAL to that reading and sleep well. Good enough for HF.
>>
>> Given the highest and lowest frequency readings a further experiment
can
>> be performed to discover the consequences of the TXCO drift on dial
>> accuracy. It only takes a few minutes.
>>
>> 1. Set REF CALL to the lowest recorded frequency and tune the K3 to a
>> stable test frequency, I used my XG3, note the "dial" reading in fine
>> frequency display, 3 digits after the decimal point. I used the CW
auto
>> spot feature to do the final tune.
>> 2. Set REF CAL to the highest recorded frequency and retune the K3 as
>> above noting the "dial" frequency.
>>
>> The lowest to highest REF CAL frequency is the total TXCO drift in
Hz.
>> The lowest to highest "dial" frequency will indicate the consequence
of
>> that TXCO drift in Hz. You will be pleased to note that the two do
not
>> match. The K3 tuned frequency change is rather less than the TXCO
drift.

>> Reset the REF CAL reading to that you previously chose to be your
K3's