Stan,

That sounds like you are switching from band to band with the VFO Lock turned on. Check to be certain that the VFO Lock is not turned on. If the VFO A knob does not change the frequency, then VFO Lock is on. You should be able to tune from 28.000 MHz to 29.700 MHz with the VFO knob when the band is set for 10 meters.

The K3 is not set to fixed frequencies by default. VFO A (or VFO B) should be able to tune the entire ham band.

73,
Don W3FPR