Hi Kev,

The issue is related to the fact that Elecraft, as do virtually all amateur radio manufacturers rate power output with 50% duty cycle SSB/CW modes only. As is stated in the KX3 specifications and here copied from the KX2 manual:

/"80-17 meters, 10 W PEP max (+/- 1 dB); 12 and 10 meters, 8 W PEP max (+/- 1 dB).// //Recommended transmit duty cycle: 50%, all modes. (If power amplifier temperature or//
//current drain is too high, power will automatically be reduced.)//
//NOTE: When using over 5 W in SSB, DATA-A and AFSK-A modes, the//
//recommended supply voltage is 12 V or higher to minimize transmit intermodulation// //products. Higher power with lower voltages should be used only when necessary."/

I believe many or most of the requests we have had to make an aftermarket heatsink have come from hams using these rigs in digital modes such as JT and desire full-power operation, which Elecraft does not explicitly endorse, but which is possible with additional cooling. Elecraft designs and specifies operation of their rigs very conservatively compared to many other manufacturers, and the KX2 and KX3 specifications are spot on. Also as is stated in the specification, the KX2 internal battery, at 10-11V depending on state of charge is considered adequate for 5W or less, and we have supplied many Kx33 14V supplies to KX2 owners who want to use the rig at 10W power when AC power is available.

I conclude many of these KX2 rigs are being used in digital modes from fixed location AC power, not from batteries. I can't blame the hams who do this, the KX2 is a fantastically full-featured rig for fixed operation, I have used it at home to check into local 10M SSB nets driving a KPA500 and no one was the wiser compared to my K3.

Cheers,
Howie - WA4PSC