Hi Linas,

There are many variables which come into play when quantifying the performance of a thermal solution. First off, the PA efficiency is different on different bands, accounting for the differing amount of heat rejected. As we state in the testing data, we do tests based on fully convective cooling with the rig in a thermal chimney to eliminate drafts. In normal use with even slight breezes and starting at 24°C the performance of the Kx22 is better than that listed, as we have experienced using the rig portable ourselves. The starting ambient temperature is a major factor in the performance of any heatsink. Thermal flux is proportional to the temperature difference between the source and sink, and if the sink is the same temperature as the source, no heat will flow. Conversely with a large difference thermal flux is enhanced.

Here is the raw data we developed during testing with an early s/n KX2, 3 trials averaged, initial key-down time from 24°C to 60°C thermal power-reduction, 1st column stock, 2nd w/prototype Kx22 (in seconds):

10M: 105 / 225
15M: 110 / 240
20M: 145 / 360
40M: 120 / 290
80M: 150 / 370

The newer Elecraft revision with the silicone electrical isolators and other PA differences will not show quite as good thermal performance as the original design where the PA FETs were mounted directly to the heatsink or right end panel. We have not yet tested the new KX2 revision to quantify the difference. We have however had very positive reports from owners of newer rigs regarding the performance of the Kx22, both emailed to us and reported on the Facebook KX2 page if you wish to read them...

Please keep in touch with us as you test your Kx22,

Howie - WA4PSC
www.proaudioeng.com