You are very mistaken in your statement regarding kids not building things. They're not building ham radio, that's for sure. But find any maker faire and you will be stunned by the age and ability of the kids demonstrating their projects. Maker Faires (Their preferred spelling it seems) would be a great place to communicate ham radio to the younger generation. Arduino and Raspberry PI have enormous followings by teenagers and even a lot of pre-teens. Don't write them off! Our community has done a poor job of out reach to the teens of today.

Doug -- K0DXV