William,

We're sorry to hear about your fire, especially loosing all of your
Elecraft gear.

If you are washing your equipment with water it's important that you go to
the shop and purchase *distilled *water like you should use for your solder
sponge or car battery.  Distilled water will mobilise ions and remove them
from causing further corrosion damage to your electronic assemblies.  Your
worst enemy are alkalies like salt and reactive elements like Iron, both
found in municipal town water.  Keep washing with distilled water and keep
flushing it for a few days and then let it dry out in a warm dry place. I
have rescued a few KX3's after having taken a swim in sea water.   I'm also
luck to work at a semiconductor foundry, so we have 99.99995% pure water on
site to work with (*grin*).

I'm also assuming that the fire was a LiPO battery.   The advice you have
received about not entering your basement is wise.   LiPO fires create
compounds that are very, very toxic, I would also expect your insurance
company to have your basement professionally cleaned before going back
inside.  You may find that after cleaning it may be necessary to seal in
all the contaminates with paint or sealing compounds.  If in doubt talk to
your local fire department (seriously) they should have Material Safety
Data Sheets (MSDS) for LiPO battery and containment after a fire.  Europe
and Australia are similar in adoption of solar battery systems, so with
large scale LiPO batteries in homes now, fire departments have further
health risks to concern themselves with.

Having had LiPO and LiFePO4 batteries (yes these burn too) that I use in my
Radio Control Models catch on fire at various times I now charge any LiPO
battery in a fire bag.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries/lipo-safe-bags.html?___store=en_us

They are cheap insurance that is for certain.

Mijn beste wensen

Matthew
VK5ZM