From: Joe Subich, W4TV <li...@subich.com>
To: elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sun, Jun 11, 2017 10:40 am
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] mic

Bob and Jim have excellent points.

There is one advantage for the electret mic compared to a dynamic
mic.  Electrets are generally 26 dB "hotter" than a dynamic mic
and thus are much more resistant to common mode RF feedback and
magnetic coupling.  However, that assumes the transceiver is
designed for the higher input level and properly reduces gain
before the mic gain control.

Mics of any kind - dynamic or condenser/electret - with wide frequency
response are completely wasted for amateur radio (or any communications
application).  You really want a clean 200 Hz - 4 Hz response.  Lower
frequencies cause distortion and waste power, higher frequencies are
simply lost in the "channel noise".

Like Bob and Jim, I spent my professional life in the recording and
broadcast industries.  Amateurs waste far too much on over spec'd
microphones and fancy "brand name" advertising campaigns.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

Message delivered to raysil...@verizon.net