In one way or another I agree with all sides of this discussion.

As to audio quality on a typical ham SSB transceiver, whether you have a
Neumann M150 Tube or a  3+ orders of magnitude less costly $5 RatShack (when
there was a RatShack) condenser cartridge, it’s unlikely the guy on the other
end will notice the difference, since his bandwidth is probably set to 2.x KHz
and the band is not pristinely quiet.  You may feel better, you might sound
absolutely fabulous on your audio chain or local transmit monitor, but the
other guy isn’t going to care or notice.

Building something that you like?  Modifying something to work better for you?
Whether it’s a mic or anything else .. that’s a good thing.  It’s instructive,
personally satisfying, and can keep you busy and out of “low”places, which is
something my wife highly encourages :-)

At any mic price point, no matter how fancy the external audio chain, I just
wish there was a way to cure the age old issue (renewed emphasis on the
Wouff-Hong perhaps?) of mic gain set too high on a rig overdriving an amp.  And
in the midst of that, ops insisting on “eating” the microphone while speaking
after having finely adjusted their TX EQ while NOT trying to swallow the mic.
In so many ways, knowing how to USE a mic, is more important than how big the
diaphragm is …

At one time, I had a very large collection of microphones — cheap, expensive,
condenser, dynamic, Elvis, not Elvis, new, vintage. Used them all here and
there.   I’m down to 3 or so.  An RE-20 that I’ve had forever and was used for
all of my now disassembled “studio n” AM/SSB stations through a Rane splitter,
a D-104 because …. D-104 … and some day I might buy another Ranger, and the
MH2/3 depending on which radio I’m using.  Oh, and a CM500 headset which I
like, but which I rarely use because earbuds and the MH(x) hand mics are just
less bulk to deal with on an outing to the beach.

> On Jun 11, 2017, at 7:16 PM, Art Peters <k0...@k0acp.com> wrote:
>
> Jim,
>
> I know better than to disagree with someone who knows what he is talking
> about, to be open, I've read, studied and benefited from your work.

Grant NQ5T
K3 #2091, KX3 #8342