Wayne,

Sorry for the delayed response.  What seems to be missing from the KPA1500,
compared to the Alpha 87A, is a keying OUTPUT on an RCA phono jack.  If
it's too late to add another jack to the KPA1500, perhaps the REM jack
could be reprogrammed via firmware to do this function, instead of remote
power on?  Note that it also has to work when the amplifier is OFF.

From the Alpha 87A manual:

"KEY OUT – Provides a pull-down to ground (through 47 ohm resistor) which
follows the line connected to the RELAY jack when the amplifier is ON and
in OPERATE condition. When the 87A is in STANDBY or OFF, KEY OUT is
directly connected to the RELAY jack by a closed relay contact in the
amplifier. Useful for special T/R hook-ups when amplifier is used with
exciters having poor T/R sequencing."

Some folks have to send keying input to the amplifier, and let the
amplifier key the radio, to prevent hot switching.  It may also be useful
in SO2R lockout systems.

In my shack, I currently wire two of these connectors in parallel (from two
amps) into a simple RCA Y-cable to a pre-amplifier's power disconnect line
on a Pixel Loop.  Grounding this line on either amplifier will then remove
power from the antenna-mounted pre-amp whenever I transmit.  The power
coupler is a Clifton Labs Z1203B which is 100% compatible with the Pixel
Loop, but it operates silently at QSK speeds (unlike the original Pixel
power coupler which has a noisy relay).

73,
Bob, N6TV