Jim, it's all a matter of how long the JT software on the receive side /
transmit side is written implemented.  It's simply a window where your
software is listening, there is nothing going on then then when to start
listening and when to stop listening / when to start transmitting and when
to stop transmitting.. The point I was trying to make was that in a pinch,
you should be able to use WWB and manually synch your clock within a
second.  All is not lost if you don't have a NTP implementation with
internet access.  Getting your clock with-in 1 second of WWB is not rocket
science if you can hear the signal, and there are other HF transmitted time
sources than WWB for other parts of the world.  Plus most OS
implementations of NTP will only sync your clock on a weekly basis and
depending on how bad your PC clock is in parts per million PPM, a week of
no synch could have you off by many seconds if not by a minutes.  Google
would be a good place to start if you are looking of manual ways to sync
your clock...  The Elecraft reflector is not the first place I would start,
but it is a way to generate a bunch of email messages and get a bunch of
opinions, there is no question about that. :)

The JT modes are so unbelievably slow and painful, you can multitask and
watch a baseball game at the same time you are working stations every 5
minutes (JT mode  water boarding at 5 minutes per Q in the best scenario).
You could do a SO8R setup and still have time to drink a cup a coffee while
you are keeping track of everytihng. ;)  With all time you have between TX
and RX, someone might want to look (google it up?) at the spec and see what
the published window is suppose to be.  And yes, of course if one station
is 2 seconds fast and another station is 2 seconds slow, you might have a
problem because the software on both ends misses the start or finish where
each station's clock is off in opposite directions.  I'm sure there are
whole JT mode related groups where you can spend hours and hours talking
about how accurate your clock should be.  It's a total yawner mode, but
hey, it's still fun at times.. I'll admit to that.  ;)

Max NG7M

--
M. George