On 7/16/2017 10:37 AM, Fred Jensen wrote:

> The Southern Pacific RR [now Union Pacific] used 160 MHz DDRR antennas
> on some of their signalling equipment. Generally on top of a big steel
> box beside the track(s).  Had a base plate bolted to the box, and a
> single 25-30 cm element, parallel to the top of the box, spaced about
> 6-7 cm above it.  The whole antenna looked like it was cast in one
> piece.

Not only the SP, but many other roads as well.  That antenna - the
Excalibur by Sinclair - was one of the most popular locomotive antennas
and is also used on signal equipment boxes because it is almost
indestructible.  It was originally made to go through a bus wash rack
undamaged!  We used them on a series of trucks because of their
ruggedness.  They are still being made but they aren't cheap - the VHF
version is in the $150 class.
Depending on the manufacturer, there are two versions, the "exposed"
solid-metal version and one in a fiberglass radome.

> For 20 m, it would be significantly larger, but might be disguised
> as, or in, a roof rack.  A lot of folks drive around with stuff piled
> on their cars these days.

We installed a 30-40 MHz version in a fiberglass radome on one truck -
it looked like an inverted canoe!  I would put a VHF version on the
family car but the wife settled for a mag-mount.  I'm not sure how it
would work with a 2m/440 rig - there's a separate 450 MHz-band version.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest