Tom,

Rather than trying to work with FT-8, you might want to initially try Fldigi - I think it may be easier, and if that works, then the trouble finger points to the software for FT-8.

Take all the information we have given you about setting audio levels - they should be the same (or close).

In Fldigi setup, select HamLib and in the rig box, select KX3 (or K3). Also select "Use Hamlib", and check the "PTT via CAT command" box.
Tell Hamlib which COM port is associated with the KXUSB.

Then in Fldigi, select PSK31. There is a canned message to send CQ. Click it and the software should go to transmit.
Does the red TX LED light on the KX2?  It should.
Set the KX2 to DATA A mode.

Then make adjustments of the KX2 MIC Gain, SignaLink computer output soundcard slider and the TX gain control on the SignaLink box to achieve 4 bars solid with the 5th bar flickering on the KX2 ALC meter (ignore the power output for now).

Once you have those settings correct, you will know that the SignaLink and the KX2 are capable of transmitting.

Go back to your original software and try again. If it does not work with little or no change in the gain levels, either you have a bad software installation or there is something wrong in the software settings.

73,
Don W3FPR