Tom,

If the TX LED on the KX2 turns on, the KX2 is going into transmit.
Put a dummy load on the KX2 so you don't clutter up the airways.

Once you have that, the next step is to set the audio level correctly.
You have 2 controls to manipulate - the KX2 MIC GAIN and the Line Out setting for the soundcard in the computer. You want to have a mid-range setting for the KX2 MIC Gain, so set that first, then go to the computer and make a trial adjustment of the LINE OUT (or Speaker) setting for the soundcard - about 50% is usually a good starting point.

Then use your digital mode software to do a transmit.
Look at the KX2 ALC meter - you need to adjust the audio levels so you have 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flickering.

Once you have achieved that condition, you should be ready to transmit for real. Adjust the power with the KX2 power knob. Ignore the internet (an possibly the software instructions) to adjust the power level by changing the audio level. Those instructions are for other transceivers, the Elecraft gear controls power differently. Set the audio level correctly as indicated in the Elecraft manual and use the power knob to adjust the output power.