Tom, Bret   et al;

I agree with you ........... something is not right.    I see my K3S draws about 1.2 amps DC on receive.  at 1.38 volts that's about 17 watts.  If my supply is only 50% efficient, that's 35 watts.   I can't understand where the 350 watts would be used unless other equipment is being used.   And I agree that transmit is 20 amps at 13.8 volts or 276 watts.  Again with a supply that is 50% efficient, that is only 550 watts or so. Certainly no where near the "over 900 W".

Perhaps the computer, monitor,  lamp, printer and other ancillary equipment is part of the load on the UPS.  It is more likely the inductive load on the UPS is creating an issue with the power output indication.  Although that doesn't explain the UPS shut down or fold back in power.    One other issue regarding the UPS, is the output Pure Sine Wave, Modified Sine Wave or Square Wave?   This may have a significant impact on its function with various types of loads.

One way to evaluate the indication of the UPS output is to use an incandescent bulb of 150 to 300 watts.  They are resistive and reasonably accurate with regard to power consumption.  Don't use any of the bulbs which are "equivalent" rated ones.   I use this method as a load when I've had to repair any of my DC to AC inverters.

73
Bob, K4TAX