Ron, AC7AC, wrote, under another subject heading: "I'm not bothered by choosing
between a dozen switches but sorting through half a dozen menu items to change
one gives me a headache."

That pretty much sums up my attitude as well, and I've heard other hams– MANY
other hams–  complain about menus, but I don't recall ever hearing anyone
complain about excess knobs, buttons, dials, etc. Reading Ron's thoughts made
me wonder out loud, why can't Elecraft or some third party make a "magic box"
that would be completely impotent by itself, but with the capability to mate up
to one of these small miniaturized wonders like the KX2 or KX3, and which would
contain oodles of manual controls for virtually every function the parent rig
is capable of providing?

This would NOT impact the normal functioning of the parent rig, but would act
as an accessory for those who eschew menus and such, and who like their rigs
bigger, bulkier and in more traditional formats. I envision a box of switches,
buttons, knobs, perhaps even gauges that would be cable-fed (or wi-fied) from
the little parent rig sitting behind the magic box. Its size would be whatever
was necessary to accommodate the design and would resemble a normal-sized base
station. You could conceivably have a separate control for each function the
parent rig provides, or if logic dictated, then several controls might be
multi-purpose.

Then an op could have the best of both worlds. He/she could use his/her KX2/KX3
as a portable rig in the normal way, but when returned to the home station, it
could be plugged back into the magic box to power it in a more expansive and
convenient manner.

Elecraft seems to always be on the lookout for new products. Here's one they
might be able to put on the market, up and running, quickly because most of the
engineering has already been worked out for the parent rig.

Emory Schley
N4LP