Have you looked at Win4K3?
I realize it's not the hardware solution you wanted, but it does bring out
all the controls to a PC screen so you can point and click at pretty much
any of them rather than going through the menus on the radio...

I suppose one could build exactly what you proposed using a box of knobs,
switches, and meters connected to an Arduino or similar microcontroller,
which would talk to the radio via the serial port.

I actually did build a controller of sorts using a Arduino nano stuffed
inside an old optical mouse. I used the mouse wheel and buttons and
assigned them specific serial commands to send to the K3. Works pretty well
for its intended purpose. An expansion of that idea could likely give you
most of what you want.