In a message dated 4/18/06 9:58:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:49 AM, Sandy W5TVW wrote:
>
> > | However, these days, operating zero-beat on a single frequency, the
> > | long call is just a waste of time. You call CQ DE W5TVW K. I'll
> > | answer AA4LR on the same frequency. Where's the confusion?
> >
> >     Perhaps no confusion to you, the sending operator, but a
> > possible bit
> > of confusion to the operator who called CQ!
>
> I and many others have THOUSANDS of successful CW QSOs using these
> techniques.

Me too - running both QRP and 100 W

> >  Firstly, let's assume you have imperfect propagation conditions:
> > fading, static,
> > whatever.  You might miss my call or get it confused if I sent it
> > just once.
>
> On 160m and sometimes 80m, perhaps I'll double the call to AA4LR AA4LR.
>
> If you only get part of it, you'll send the part you got: 4LR. I'll
> respond with my full call again: AA4LR AA4LR. The more times we
> repeat this, the more times I'll repeat my call.
>
> > Anything else might likely lead to asking
> > you to repeat your callsign, which takes up even more time?
>
> The point is, especially in a contest, the vast majority of the time,
> the first call works. And this protocol works well when there are
> multiple callers, too.

Yep.

> > Just a one time sent callsign IS bad operating practice and
> > operating manners.

I disagree - and agree! See below.

> Some of the very best operators I know are contesters, and they ALL
> do this. It can't possibly be a "bad practice".

I think it really comes down to "situational awareness" - matching the
operating practices to the conditions.

Under contest conditions where the station holding the frequency is doing a
run and the conditions are good, the single-call works wonders. At other times,
long calls are what's needed. It all depends on the situation. The skilled
operator matches the technique to the situation, rather than insisting on one
size fits all.

In CW traffic handling, 35 years ago, I was taught to use an even briefer
procedure during QNI.

> >     Contest conditions are usually frantic, crowded and many times
> > plain RUDE.
>
> Well, that's true.

Maybe I'm missing something, because I really only do two contests seriously
(FD and SS), but I find 99.9% of contest ops to be very disciplined and
courteous. When VY1JA called for "QRP ONLY" in the CW SS....

> > Such things as sections/states and unique member
> > numbers are exchanged.  In the peak of the QRM/QSB I usually always
> > send State and my number TWICE.
>
> This is kinda a "QRP" mentality -- "I'm weak and in the noise, I
> better be redundant." That's not always so. Low power and QRP
> stations can have formidable and readable signals, given reasonable
> antennas and fair to good conditions.
>
> In some cases, such redundancy may be helpful, like on 160m. But,
> mostly, it just wastes time.

Again - it all depends on the situation.

73 de Jim, N2EY