N2TK, Tony wrote:
> Why even send the call of the station you are calling, especially
> if it is a contest? He knows his(her) call.

Months ago, I started the thread in the subject line, it got beat to death, and I'm surprised it got resurrected. I'm not surprised, however at how it has morphed.

On the current and hopefully transient subject: A station who wants to win in a contest wants to make sure that A) he has your call right; B) that you have his right; C) you got his exchange right; and D) that you submit your log. He undoubtedly believes he can copy your exchange perfectly.

He can't do anything about "D", and if you QSL his exchange, he has to assume you got it right, or at least think you did. The ideal and most efficient contest exchange is then:

Note that your reply is the only time he gets to hear you send your rendition of his call. We all know he knows his call ... well if he's a charter member of SOC, maybe not, but he probably thinks he does anyway. What he really wants to know is that you got his call right, so you tell him by sending it. If you'd also like to win, it's important that he correct you if you got it wrong, and this is his and your one and only chance. Some contests assess higher penalties for busted calls vs busted exchanges.

Note also that some contests (e.g. Sprints) REQUIRE that you send his call, whether or not you think he knows it, or, I guess, that you do too.

Best Regards,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw
SOC # <something in the 600's>