On 11/6/2017 12:42 PM, ab2tc wrote:
would you really like to use "F" connectors in the
shack? I wouldn't.

Actually, F connectors are widely used with RX antennas and RX antenna products, and are the best method to terminate the CATV cables widely used for our RX antennas. It IS, however, important to use decent stripping and crimping tools and good quality connectors that match the cable you're using. The CATV industry likes SnapNSeal branded connectors. It's also important that they be correctly installed. There are utube videos demonstrating this.

Here's a listing for connectors that fit the flooded Commscope CATV RG6 cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Betts-Belden-Ultimate-Connectors/dp/B002OFA8AG

I'm still using a stripping tool and a compression tool that I bought 15 years ago. This one is similar to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Coax-Compression-Connector-Kit-Connectors/dp/B005232UF8/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510006728&sr=1-9&keywords=snap+n+seal+tools

This looks like the expensive compression tool I bought 15 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/Installation-Tool-RG-59-RG-6-Snap-N-Seal/dp/B000PJJ5FC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510006728&sr=1-1&keywords=snap+n+seal+tools

I bought a compression tool that looks like the one in this listing that works just as well.

https://www.amazon.com/ESUMIC-Compression-Connector-Stripper-connectors/dp/B015ZG1IHW/ref=sr_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1510007129&sr=1-6&keywords=f-connector+compression+tool

Note that these tools are not the exact ones I own, but they illustrate the concepts.

73, Jim K9YC