On 11/13/2017 11:21 PM, Gary Smith wrote:

> When I first started with WSJT-X I asked
> on the WSJT-X reflector and was told quite
> clearly if I want to use it, I had to run
> it directly to the port for the K3, no
> other control software should be running
> at the same time and if I wanted to use
> logging I had to use JT Alert and have my
> logging done via that.

Well, you got the best advice from the WSJT-X list - from the developers
of that software.  Why do you think the developers of the K3 and K3
users are going to tell you something different or fix a basic design
decision in the WSJT-X software?

*If you don't like the way WSJT-X operates, DON'T USE IT!*

> I was also told
> virtual ports are nothing but trouble, not
> to use them with WSJT-X and there is no
> help for those that use them.

In the language of the WSJT-X list, "virtual ports" means port splitting
software - not USB derived serial ports.  Most port splitting software
is a problem because it is nothing more than a software "Y" connection
which causes exactly the kind of "unanticipated data" errors that crash
the WSJT-X radio control.

It seems to me there's a lot of attitude on that list.

The WSJT-X project has some of the smartest developers you will ever
encounter.  They have their own vision of the project and have no use
for those who complain about the direction of that project unless the
complainers are willing to contribute to the development *write code*
of the features they seek.

WSJT-X had its beginnings in WSJT which had no rig control and used
only serial port RTS (or VOX) for T/R switching. CAT is present for
only three purposes - 1) to shift TX frequency in order to center the
TX tones; 2) for band hopping/scanning WSPR and 3) for split frequency
meteor scatter work. None of those functions require cooperating with
a logging program.

What you want would turn a bicycle into a semi ...

> ### WSJT-X is the only software I use that
> does this. The others share control as in
> N1MM and MMTTY, Logic & FLDigi working
> fine together. Logic runs beautifully with
> N1MM and MMTTY, no conflicts of any kind.

N1MM & MTTY do not share radio control.  Logic never polls the K3 and
relies entirely on the auto-information or reading the data polled by
other software.  Logic & Fldigi (or other active control software)
will bomb spectacularly with older Yaesu gear because both will try
to poll simultaneously.  Similarly, unless a logger makes provision
to use MMTTY as a "RTTY engine" and MMTTY is configured to *NOT* do
any control of the radio frequency or software PTT, MMTTY and most
loggers will not coexist either.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV