Yes, it is morse code although the protocol is very different.

For example, to call a distant (unknown) ship you point your big light at them
and send AA.  The proper response is a loooong T.  There’s a book carried
aboard all ships that documents the protocols.  I have a copy here somewhere..

But it was NOT what you’d call high speed so Skip might have been referring to
something else entirely.

And, yes, I have done ship to ship comms using signal lights.  It was in the
Red Sea and Persian Gulf during Desert Storm.  Didn’t use them at all during
OIF-I or OIF-II (2003, 2004).

(If interested further please contact me off-list.  I don’t want to prolong a
marginally off-topic thread here..)

73,
Doug, W7KF
http://www.w7kf.com <http://www.w7kf.com/>