On 11/20/2017 4:34 AM, Richard S. Leary wrote:
Kevin,
My two cents worth. I was a USAF Morse Intercept Operator for almost 8
years. Started in Mar 1955. School was 7 months. Of that, CW training was 3+
hours a day, 5 days a week, for 7 months. Graduating speed requirement was
20 wpm. I started knowing zilch, ended up school at 23 wpm. Characters
taught then were A thru Z, 1 thru 0, plus "special characters". Total
character count was in excess of 45 characters. Some special characters were
colon (:), semi-colon (;), ampersand (&), dollar ($), exclamation point (!),
quotes ("), plus other normal punctuation marks. I worked as a MIO for 6 1/2
years in Europe. Germany, Turkey, and England. Consecutive tours. We copied
CW as it was sent. If it ended up looking like Greek, or any other language,
it was still CW, but transcribed onto paper, as whatever was sent. No
computers back then, just a pair of Hammerlund SP-600's, R-390's or 51J's,
and a Royal or Remington manual mil spec typewriter, and lots of 6 ply, fan
fold paper with carbons. In Turkey, the building next to our ops area was
Navy ops. Their CT's were reknown for being pretty excellent operators. Glad
to see the Navy MIO's back.  Just my $0.02 worth.

73,  Rick, W7LKG

Rick,
Looks like you were at Karamursel, I was there 1962-63, Navy Ops.
73
Stew ke4yh  CTTC USN Ret.

---
http://www.avg.com