Fred, it's called LiFi and uses the ability of LED light sources to handle high
frequency modulation to send data securely since one has to intercept the
actual beam to even get the data, much less decode the information. Apparently
pretty high data rates are possible with the system.

Here's a press article from about a year ago.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/10/revamped-100-year-old-lamp-will-help-the-navy-counter-russia-and-china/

I'm sure we Hams will find a use for the technology, Hi!

Way back in 1955 when I was in High School I created a very popular display
that used my S-38 receiver tuned to a popular station. Current powering a 6V
lantern passed through the S38's audio output transformer to modulate the
light. The lighet was received by a photoelectric tube across the table,
amplified and the sound of the radio station played in a remote speaker. The
sound could be interrupted by passing one's hand in from of the light.

Even though it was an incandescent bulb with its thermal lag, it still
reproduced good AM quality audio.

It was good enough (in 1955) that I was encouraged to display it at the annual
Science Fair where it worked too well. Someone stole the photoelectric tube
from the display before it could be judged -- but I still got an A on the
project!

73, Ron AC7AC