On Apr 18, 2006, at 10:51 PM, Sandy W5TVW wrote:

If you are a "DXer", how many times have you succeeded
with only a 'single' call in a big pileup? You may have to send your call
a bunch of times,and/or be running a bunch of power.

I NEVER do this. I send my call once and then listen. I may only listen for a second or so, but I do listen. Then I'll send my call again and listen. In a hugh pileup, I might send my call 2-3 times, but for most "normal" pileups its only once.

The real LIDS are the guys who send their calls 3-4 times in a row, or continue to call and call and call and call, even when the DX has long since come back to someone else. Really poor operating practice.

However, contests, by and large, do not resemble DX pileup operation. Contest pileups share some characteristics with DX pileups, but they aren't the same.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901