I've had it happen. It's not all that uncommon to hear only one side of a
QSO on a frequency, and I've answered a guy who simply gave his call after
my CQ, then found him in the middle of a transmission to someone else who I
couldn't hear when I stood by for his first transmission.

So I generated unnecessary QRM on a frequency in use only because one of the
stations there either didn't hear me or didn't bother to respond to my QRZ.

It doesn't take much to sign both calls. I agree that long calls aren't
necessary WHEN you are on the other station's frequency. I'll call someone
"W5TVW DE AC7AC AC7AC K" So what's a few seconds for clarity? That's why I
send my call twice. If his signal isn't so strong, I'll do a 2X2 call.

After calling CQ, I ALWAYS tune up and down at least two or three kHz. Five
kHz if the band is quiet. And I'll make about 5 CQ's (listening for a bk if
someone is zero beat) then tune around for half a minute or so. Find lots of
rockbound GB & QRP stations that way, which makes for interesting QSOs. But
those stations need to call me half a dozen times to make sure I'll tune 'em
in before they stop.

One of the nice differences between CW and other 'digital' modes is that CW
uses the same error-correcting system speech does - redundancy. And it's an
"intelligent" redundancy when the operator anticipates what the other
station needs such as copying in noise, or tuning to find the other station
off frequency. It's just like sending names and QTH's twice. The second send
is not needed 99% of the time, but it makes things faster and  easier
overall if the other op is distracted or there's some QSB/QRN/QRM at the
wrong moment.

Now, I'll admit that my favorite CW rag chews go on while I'm puttering in
the shop! So I'm working on something while copying the other guy's
transmission and then sit down at the key for my turn. So I'm not looking
for series of very fast repartee during the QSO <G>.

Ron AC7AC