Frank and all,

The K3 Line In needs a signal of up to 1 volt P-P.
The microphone input (either front or rear) need only 1/4 (or so) of that amplitude.

Can I suggest that you do not have enough audio from your soundcard to use Line In? Most soundcards can produce enough audio, but it may depend on the particular soundcard or which soundcard output you are using.

If your soundcard has only one output jack, go into the audio output devices on your computer and change the output to Line Out (it defaults to Speaker).

73,
Don W3FPR