Eric,

It may be a good consideration for you to send it to Elecraft for upgrading.
The Elecraft technician will alert you to the subtle things that could be upgraded, such as the encoders used for the small knobs. The result will be that you then have a K3 that has not only been upgraded, but will have been run through the factory automated test and burn-in station.

You will also be given the opportunity to add some of the K3S upgrades if you want such as the KXV3, new synthsizer(s), and the KIO3B for direct connection to a USB connection rather than RS-232.

If you chose that route, contact K3support and request an RSA.

73,
Don W3FPR