Yup, that was me. The Radio Shack portable mat in particular is one that my testing showed to have too high a resistance to do any good.

The one Walter mentions (below) is probably OK. The Amazon page specifies "Surface resistivity: 10E9 - 10E11 Ohm/m2" and it mentions that the back side is black and 1.8 mm thick. Good mats have a highly-conductive back side to properly distribute the charge.

I agree that using an anti-static mat and wrist strap is good insurance. The reason for grounding it is to make sure it is at the same potential as any grounded device (such as a soldering iron) that you may be using.

Alan N1AL