Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 7:08 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Upgrading a K3?

On 12/22/2017 12:16 PM, G4GNX wrote:
Firstly, you absolutely MUST use an anti-static mat, suitably connected to ground and an anti-static wrist strap. Whilst you might "get away with it" without those items, you may cause unseen damage and you won't know until it breaks down. I know the manuals state that you can "touch a metal object", but that's very hit and miss.

I'm going to respectfully disagree.  The problem is not the static or
the ground, the problem is when you have a differential voltage between
items.

If you always maintain a forearm on the frame of your device and handle
things carefully while maintaining contact with the frame, you will all
be at the same electrical potential.  Be sure to be in contact with the
frame when opening anti-static bags, too. Hold boards by the edges,
don't finger the gold contacts, and don't touch components if you don't
have to.

This technique has worked for me for years.  I don't do sensitive work
often, but I never seem to have all the 'anti-static' stuff when I need it.

The only danger is if you get carried away and lift that arm.

73

Ray
KK4WPB

Molon labe