Mark,

Yes, your math is correct, and since your BFO is at a lower frequency than
the IF, that should give you LSB output - something strange is going on
here.

Let's take this off-reflector after this note, because we may have to
exchange a bit of detail information.  It may be of interest to some, but
the specifics are not common for most cases, and I don't want to cause
boredom for other builders for your specific problem - you can report the
results to the list after we figure things out.

The VCO frequency is within the realm of reason, we do not need to look at
that further.  Did you move the slug of L34 up near the top of the can?

If you would remove the [Elecraft} from the subject in your reply, that will
make your reply more obvious to me (it will go to my inbox rather than the
Elecraft folder - which I peruse more quickly than my inbox).

Go to Tom Hammond's website www.n0ss.net and download Spectrogram (it will
be near the end of the page).  I will help you get it setup if necessary,
but I need to know how your filter bandpass looks on the Spectrogram display
before I can draw any conclusions or offer any suggestions.  My initial
guess is that your actual filter bandwidth is much wider than expected
(indicating a problem with the filter itself), and your passband may be
straddling the zero frequency point -  but all that remains to be seen.

73,
Don W3FPR