Mark,

The instructions packed in the encoder envelope tell you to flush cut not only the pins on the encoder board, but also the leads on the control board that might contact it.

If you do not have flush (or shear) cutters, and want inexpensive ones, look for Xcelite (or Lufkin or Cooper) 170M shear cutters. They can often be found in your local Home Depot.

In addition to flush cutting the boards, put something on the back of the encoder board - fish paper would be best, but a piece of flat plastic cut from one of the many plastic wrapped consumer products would be good.
Paper or electrical tape will eventually puncture.

73,
Don W3FPR