If you are looking for a radio which won't fail, I suggest one keep your money
in the bank.  All new radios, all brands, have a known failure rate, out if the
box, at one year, and two years.  That is the reason companies offer a
warranty. They expect some number but of units to fail during the warranty
period.  Nothing unusual about this fact.

As to personally repairing one of the modern radios, unless one has capability
to handle remove and replace surface mount components, as well as rather
extensive test equipment and advanced knowledge of electronics, one is relying
on board or modular exchange.  This does involve the factory an leaves one with
a nonworking product for a period of time.

For a period of years I repaired many ham radio products for others. In
probably a majority of cases I had to not only find and repair the original
fault, but.....I had to correct the attempted repairs of others.

Like many other products, we are moving more and more to a toss and replace
commodity.

Bob, K4TAX

Sent from my iPhone