Gerald,

There are no details for how to troubleshoot to the component level. In most cases, the FRU (Field Replacable Unit) is a board.

In some cases, Elecraft support is able to assist with your troubleshooting as long as it does not get too involved. Many times customers have replaced components such as PIN Diodes and several such items.

So if you have test equipment and troubleshooting skills as well as equipment and skills for repairing SMD circuits, it can be done without sending the radio to Watsonville.

Be aware that level of skill is not the norm for the Elecraft customer set. It was the norm for K2 builders several years ago, but conditions have changed and the average customer does not have the capability to repair his own radio - especially since the circuit density has increased many-fold and we encounter many hams with "shaky hands".

If you want a radio that you can build and thus have some knowledge about "what makes it work", I might suggest building an Elecraft K2 which is still a top performing transceiver.

73,
Don W3FPR