Martin,

The K2 resets the power control mechanism after a band change or a change in the POWER control. To prevent overshoot, it starts out low and ramps up quickly to the requested power. It must sense the actual power output and adjust the drive accordingly, and that takes one or two dit times to happen.

73,
Don W3FPR