I'm following up here with the verified solution to my issue.

To recap - When I used a KXSER cable to connect my KXPA/KX3 to my Ciro Mazzoni
Magloop antenna controller, that left no port available for me to control the
KX3 with RS232 using the program FLRig. The best solution I found was to use a
DB9 Y-connector in conjunction with a breakout board for the DB9 branch going
to the antenna controller. On that board, I patched only the RXD and ground
lines: pins 2 and 5, from input to output.

With this configuration, the Antenna controller has its TXD pin left
unconnected. As many here noted, this is of necessity since only one TXD driver
can exist on a common TXD line. So, for the controller to work, FLRig must be
running and connected to the radio. Since FLRig polls the KX3 control
parameters, the Antenna controller receives the VFO data it needs on its RXD
line. Apparently it doesn't matter that the controller is not doing the
polling, as long as something else is.

If I wanted to return polling autonomy to the antenna controller, I would have
to disconnect the Y-junction. But I think I will keep things in place. Just
because FLRig is running on the computer, doesn't mean that I can't use the KX3
standalone as I usually have in the past. So this is an acceptable solution.
I'll probably post it on Ciro Mazzoni's user site for others' benefit.

Thanks all for the help and pointers!

73,

Steve, NU7B