From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net [elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] on
behalf of Martin Sole [hs0...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:37 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA500 thermal clicks

I think it sounds "orrible!". I'm quite used to the low rumble of the
blower in my Alpha 77D but that ticking would be like Chinese water
torture to me. Listening to an individual tick it does seem to have a
ring to it. Okay the recording was perhaps not the most acoustically
perfect but it certainly does sound as if the ring is from the source
and not any sort of artifact. If it is from the source then I think you
can probably find a way to damp it. First trick will be to identify the
specific source.

I had read other comments about a ticking, always imagined it to be
minimal and essentially unobtrusive but if what you have recorded is
anything like how it sounds sat in front of it then definitely it does
sound pretty bad to me and not just in amplitude but also in its timbre,
pitch, and repetition rate.

Martin, HS0ZED

Message delivered to c-haw...@illinois.edu