I've had my KPA500 for a few years now.  I built it from a kit.  The only time
I ever hear what you describe is when I've been long winded on RTTY.

I run it @ 450 Watts out no matter the mode and I never even get a fan speed
increase unless I'm in a RTTY rag chew and normally never hear any thermal
clicks.

I don't worry about it or let it bother me.

Jim, W0EB