Skip,

That is a great formula for theory - I vaguely remember it from my electromagnetic fields course.
But how you measure it?
With practical measurement equipment, it is difficult to isolate to a single plane.

That may be do-able with fully characterized equipment in a controlled antenna field space or in an EMC lab, but it certainly is not practical in a typical ham antenna installation - and even the radiation resistance is not easily measured.

Antenna modeling done properly will provide a much more easily produced result. Comparative results between different antennas can be obtained from a reference pickup antenna, but that can only show the relative performance, we still have to guess at the efficiency.

73,
Don W3FPR